Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar eclipse

Wednesday night, God put on a good performance with a celestial ballet called a lunar eclipse.

My son Shayne jumped on the trampoline and I stood on the ground next to him. We watched the moon get covered by the earth's red shadow, and then appear again as if the sky had a wide toothy smile. Shayne and I talked about the universe, the stars, and even the nature of God.

I remember a night when I was close to Shayne's age. My dad, my brother and I were lying on a dock in Key West Florida late in the night. We were watching a lunar eclipse and talking about the same things that Shayne and I were talking about.

Perhaps God performs this celestial ballet so that fathers and sons can talk about the universe, and become closer to each other, and as a result, closer to God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave - I just reviewed all your entries, and decided that this one is the best of all!! Father/Son relationships are priceless. Shayne, I hope you realize how significant that time with your Dad was. If you don't now, you will someday. John Reed