Monday, April 7, 2008

Update on the Intersection of 196th and 188th


Today, Peggy Olson and I met with members of the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) to discuss the intersection of 188th and 196th.

You can learn more by going to my previous blog entries (click here).

The meeting had good points and disappointing points.

The good points:

WSDOT will help the city acquire more data using a special camera.

WSDOT offered assistance in helping staff plan a crosswalk near 186th where the site distances are better.

The disappointing points:

WSDOT will not acknowledge that the intersection meets the traffics warrants for a stop light. The meeting was essentially a rehash of the issues that we discussed at the public hearing.

I asked them, “What do we need to do to show you that we meet the Systems warrant?” I wasn’t very satisfied with their answer and I still don’t completely understand there lack of willingness to help us on that warrant. I got the impression that they just didn’t like that warrant, and it leaves me believing that they would rather not have the signal at all, warrants met or not.

My last point:

To be fair, the WSDOT folks were very nice, and the meeting was very cordial, and I appreciate their efforts to help us with the crosswalk. We will bring our report to council and see what happens there.

I assume someone up in Washington D.C thinks that traffic warrants are helping communities deal with safety, but I gotta tell you, from my perspective, I think they do more to hinder our efforts to improve safety than help them.

No comments: