Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cliff's Picks



Cliff Sanderlin is a friend of mine from southwest Edmonds, where there has been much controversy over the city's handling of a new park. I think its good to have his perspective on these elections (which differs a little from mine), so I have included his letter to his neighbors in this blog entry.

CLIFF’S ENDORSEMENTS FOR EDMONDS CITY COUNCIL

Hi all,I helped produce two City Council candidate forums at the Senior Center this fall. Since I didn’t see many neighbors from SW Edmonds at the forums, I am sharing my choices. One of my criteria is the work that candidates have done on behalf of SW Edmonds, plus potential for leading Edmonds out of our current situation. I’m writing as an individual, not representing any other entity. Here’s who I support and why:

  • Michael Plunkett – Was a strong supporter in getting Edmonds to buy school district property at the Old Woodway Elementary School (104th and 237th SW), where a new park opened in August. Michael is committed to listening and empowering citizens and giving us a voice in how our communities are developed. Michael knows Edmonds really well and has done many good things as a City Council member. He acts with local knowledge, courtesy and civility, which I cannot say about his opponent.
  • Diane Buckschnis -- Is a no-nonsense, rock-solid community organizer with a long career in banking regulation. She has spent months trying to figure out the Mayor’s budget. Also, Diane set up the volunteer group that maintains the Edmonds Off-leash Area at Marina Park, giving our mutts a place to get some real exercise. She is a board member of the Edmonds Arts Center. And she has been very patient helping those of us who are trying to update the South County Senior Center’s website. Check out my letter in the Edmonds Beacon this week.
  • Lora Petso – This one is hard. I really like Lora and Adrienne and would like to see both on the Council. My wife (Heather) and I are voting for Lora. She and husband Colin were key players in helping us save school property in SW Edmonds for open space (now Hickman Park.) By means of a lawsuit, Lora has stalled land developers from building 26 or so houses on the half the city failed to buy, based on shoddy permitting by the City. Lora knows what can be accomplished and where to find the money to make things happen. Neither Lora nor Adrienne would put up with bullying by the Mayor or his staff, which is another reason I wish both could be on the Council!

No comments: