Friday, March 28, 2008

A trip to Taipei: Mixed-Use Gone Wild!

Every time someone wants me to change a code to allow a larger development, they utter three letters G-M-A, The Growth Management Act.

Folks say that the goal of the GMA is to force us into living in urban centers. I couldn’t disagree more. I see the GMA doing what it's title implies, managing growth smartly.

In 2004, I got to go on a business trip to Taipei. I enjoyed the trip, and not just because of the sights. I learned a little bit about growth, and I think of Taipei when I think about land-use decisions on the city council.

While Taipei has many beautiful areas, the city councilman in me could not help but notice that Taipei’s principle form of development is mixed use. In fact, I would call it mixed-use gone wild!





I remember standing on the viewing deck of a 500 foot tall building, and not being able see the end of the city. No single family neighborhoods to be seen, anywhere. We’re talking horizon to horizon of mixed use or commercial buildings.

This is what happens when a lot of folks cram into a little space. It’s the ultimate end game of no-growth; that is, a policy that fights sprawl to such an extent that smart growth cannot occur, and we all get crammed into a small space.

A friend in Taipei made me feel very welcome and he showed me some of the greatest sights of the city. The coolest traveling trick about Taipei is the subway. Do not take the cabs! (Life does not need to be shorter). Take the subway. It’s easy to pay for with coin machines and it feels VERY safe (much more safer than the cabs.). Just make sure you stay to the right on the escalators, so that folks who want pass you can do so. They are picky about that kind of stuff there.

They’re certain advantages to their life style, the most obvious being they don’t need a car, because public transportation is awesome. They also save their money, and take long trips periodically, but most of the time they live in condos above businesses.

While Taipei was fun to visit, I wouldn’t want to live there. I like my single family home.

The GMA does NOT mean we have to turn Edmonds into Taipei. For Edmonds, the GMA means we will accept some population growth and we will have some areas that have mutlifamily housing, some areas that have single family housing, and areas that are completely open. We will have housing choices, but we’re not going the route of Taipei either. The single family neighborhood is still very much a part of our future.

What’s funny about some of the folks who continually point to the GMA as a reason to allow more condos is that the city already meets its GMA goals. That means Edmonds already has adequate growth going on and plenty of housing choices. Edmonds can meet its growth targets without changing a single code.

So the GMA arguments are really mute. Edmonds meets its goals. GMA arguments may mean something to the folks who want us to become Taipei, but these arguments don’t count much in my book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on Dave! Why is all the development concentrated in the near waterfront area??...Perrinville, Firdale village..Why not there?

I would argue that Perrinville grabs the prize for the ugliest..not the old safeway!!