Thursday, August 20, 2009

A good movie: Julia & Julia


Two weekends ago, my wife and I saw Julia & Julia, drawn by the fact that Meryl Streep is playing Julia Childs. Naturally, she did wonderfully, but her performance wasn’t the only good one. I was particularly impressed with Stanley Tucci, who plays Paul Childs, Julia’s devoted husband. Stanley Tucci made me look up to Paul Childs, a man who supported and encouraged his wife to write her book. When the book wasn’t published, he always took her side of things. When her book was finally published, he rejoiced with Julia. He never forgot her birthday, and he also remembered Valentines day.
Of course, you could say Paul benefitted from Julia’s interest in French cooking. “What’s for dinner?” was one of Tucci’s common lines in the movie, but Tucci also brought out Paul’s appreciation for Julia. Tucci wasn’t just saying “I want food”, he was saying “Stick with it Julia, I love you.”
Thanks to Stanley Tucci, we can see an example of a good husband, Paul Childs, in action.

No comments: