Sunday, September 6, 2009

Every candidate should go on channel 21

You may have seen channel 21, the city government’s cable channel. It has a lot of info about the city, and every city official gets his picture on it.

During my last election, I advocated that my opponent, Strom Peterson, should get some time on channel 21, too. Even though, channel 21 is not election oriented, it still puts across information about elected officials, and I felt it needed to be a level playing field.

I still feel that way.

I even made a slide show suggesting how channel 21 should be formatted during elections. I used a “make believe” race for Position zero. Photos are provided by Gary Larson. :>)

During elections, I proposed that channel 21 be turned into a TV voter’s guide. The city provides the name, picture, and contact information for each candidate. We could even add a link for a website or blog (like this one). This way the playing field is kept level and the city is NOT maintaining anything political. The candidates can then exercise their right to free speech on their OWN website and blogs.

One of the reasons I have my own blog is so I don’t have to worry about mixing my “political” thoughts with my “city official” thoughts. This is my own blog, so public money cannot be used for “political” purposes. I can say what I want, freely.

No comments: