Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Strom Peterson's flip-flop on heights

I know that by putting up this blog, many of my supporters and friends are cringing. I can here it now, “Dave your being negative again.”

But here me out for a second…

Look, if Strom Peterson were a candidate for a national office, wouldn’t you want the press to point out how a candidate’s statement changed over time? Would you fault the press for citing how a candidate’s current “stated” views differed from his or her actual “actions?”

A candidate’s flip-flops are highly relevant to a campaign, are they not? If you care about a particular national issue, don’t you want to know if the candidate you are casting a ballot for has changed his or her mind on that issue?

Why should it be different for the council?

Strom Peterson’s record clearly shows two facts:

1) As the president of the downtown merchants association, Strom Peterson advocated for changes in downtown codes that included increasing downtown heights. The quote above is just one. He is also on record in front of the planning board on 12/15/2004.

2) Strom is now saying he doesn’t want to change codes in downtown.

I am sorry, that’s a flip-flop. You may not like to hear it, but that’s what it is.

Now, add the fact that Strom Peterson does not make a commitment about heights on the waterfront, where a Seattle developer is now applying for 75 foot tall buildings.

If you care about taller buildings in Edmonds, and you are considering casting a vote for Strom Peterson, I urge you to consider his record. You don’t need to trust me, just look up the cited references above.

Strom’s record may cause you to doubt his sincerity.

And sorry for being negative again…

1 comment:

Dave Orvis said...

Hi John,

I do not allow anonymous comments on my blog anymore. It's just too cowardly.

You are welcome to post comments, but I need you to identify yourself fully. (You can do that in your next post, otherwise I will have to remove your comment)

-Dave Orvis